However, as is true for any product, there can sometimes be issues with the software that powers the device. But if the product is properly powered up and working, there should not be any problems.
Your Epson printer may require a firmware update in order to continue operating as designed. Sometimes Epson’s new firmware update degrades or completely destroys the functionality of your printer.
Sometimes there is an automatic update feature on Epson printers. It’s good to know about it that causes more harm than benefit.
It’s possible that when you use your printer one day after you wake up, the cartridge won’t be recognizable. You shouldn’t ever upgrade your Epson printer, even if Epson tells you to do so.
They’re a company that has a long history of changing the firmware of their printers and equipment. You should stay away from them.
How can you fix your printer if it has been updated?
In this article, we’ll go over some of the issues that you may run into when trying to update firmware on an Epson printer.
Epson Firmware Update Problem Solutions
There are basically four solutions to handle the Epson Update Problem. These solutions act as Epson firmware recovery tools.
Solution# 1 – Epson Printer Firmware Reset
Epson Firmware Update Used? When it’s necessary to correct firmware faults, crashes, or other problems in order to enhance or stabilize the printer’s performance, firmware updates are used.
The firmware is built to restrict the usage of third-party ink cartridges in addition to resolving printer-related problems.
It is strongly advised against updating the printer’s firmware to the most recent version if you are currently using or intend to utilize used inks.
Steps for Epson Printer Firmware Reset
- The printer must first be turned off, the power cable must be disconnected for around 30 seconds, and then reconnected.
- Simply turn on the printer and hold down the “Resume” button for 10 to 20 seconds to turn on the attention lights.
- Release the button for Resume now.
- The printer will now reset to its factory default settings as you watch the Attention and Ready lights cycle.
Steps to Restore the Product
- Simply hit the home button and then tap the Setup button to begin.
- Simply scroll down and choose System administration.
- You must then type the administrator password.
- The Restore default settings option is now available by scrolling down.
- You must choose one from the acceptable options on the screen based on your preferences.
- To reset the chosen Settings choice, simply choose Yes.
Solution# 2 – Disable the Automatic Update Feature
Disabling the automatic update feature on an Epson printer may appear simple, but it’s actually more difficult than it seems.
We need to disable three things, and after that, I’ll show you what to do if you unintentionally download Epson’s firmware update.
- Uncheck the box next to Allow Windows Firewall to Unblock Epson Utilities during installation.
- It will indicate that a firmware update is available after installation. Of course, you should select No. If you select Yes then you are allowing it to update.
- Steps Disable the Automatic Update Feature:
- Go to Devices
- Then Select Printer
- Then choose Printing Preferences after it has been installed.
- Click on the software update link under the maintenance tab.
- Just let it run and let it check for updates.
- There is nothing you can do to stop this required action.
- Once it has done so, select Never in the auto-update setting.
- This needs to be done on each computer linked to your printer.
Solution# 3 – Turn Printer into Chipless Mode
The third way you can avoid the update issue with your printer is to put it in chipless mode. This act as an Epson printer firmware hack that stops keeping track of the cartridges.
There are several options available when you search online for a website to make your printer chipless.
However, because it’s simple and I’ve used it frequently enough to be confident that it’s virus-free, I always advise using InkChip.net.
However, you will need to turn off your antivirus program before downloading it.
Go to InkChip.net and select the software tab to get started. A distinct printer model is represented by each row on this page.
You can select the updated firmware according to your printer model.
Be sure the firmware upgrade was successful before continuing. If it did, proceed to click the third link to buy an activation key. Click on the fourth link if you want a paper manual and are confused about how to go about this procedure.
Check out the user manual and the instruction videos on this website to make your process easier.
Steps Turn Printer into Chipless Mode
- You must maintain pressure with your thumb on the right side of the printer’s front screen.
- Press and hold the power button with the other hand till the power button goes blue.
- If it is just blank then it didn’t work and you must try again
- If you see some text on the screen then it is successful and you are able to proceed further.
- The firmware link can now be downloaded on the printer.
- The printer must then be connected to the USB port.
- A wireless printer connection won’t function, thus you must connect it via USB.
- Your printer should be listed there, so you can simply click “Start” to begin the download.
- Typically, the downloading procedure is finished in ten to fifteen minutes.
- Now that the firmware has been installed, it’s time to download the activation software. The software is called InkChip.net Activation.
- You’ll get a blue popup window the first time you run it. Don’t click okay Instead, click the more information button and select Run Anyway.
- When you launch the software for the first time, it automatically updates, and you should then see your printer listed in the drop-down option.
- Return to InkChip.net and purchase a license for your printer there.
- Ensure that it is the appropriate one for your particular printer; otherwise, it probably won’t work.
Congratulations! Now, the printer ought to be chip-free. Check the ink levels in your printer to be sure. The fact that all of the ink cartridges are full should be shown.
Solution# 4 – Get Help from Epson
You can first call Epson and describe the problem. They will occasionally be so kind as to send you a fresh batch of cartridges. If you’re extremely fortunate, they could even send you a new printer.
According to them, updating the software and firmware would enhance performance and resolve printer-related problems.
However, they made no mention of the fact that these new updates would render non-official cartridges useless.
So, what does it mean? If you’ve already updated the firmware and the problem still persists, you can try to contact Epson Customer Support.
They can either give you some troubleshooting tips or send you a replacement cartridge. If none of those options work, you might be stuck with a faulty printer for good.
That’s a real shame, but Epson Customer Service should be able to help. I hope you found this article useful.
Should I update the firmware on my Epson printer?
It’s best not to update the firmware on your Epson printer if you intend to resell it.
Because all Epson printers come with a built-in timing mechanism that counts the days since an ink cartridge is installed, and after a certain amount of days the printer considers that the ink cartridge is expired and the printer will no longer work with it.
The idea behind this feature is for Epson to sell more ink cartridges since if the printer stops working before your ink cartridge is expired, you will naturally run out and buy a new one.
What does firmware update mean?
Epson has been a leader in the printer industry for many years, but many people don’t know what the firmware update means.
A firmware update is a software upgrade for the printer. In order to use the printer, it needs an initial firmware update.
This firmware update allows the machine to connect to the computer for first use. In addition, every time that you turn off your computer or printer, there is also a firmware update that occurs.
Firmware is the program that runs the printer. There are times when this program needs to be updated, and this is often done automatically.
However, you can force the update by restarting the computer or printer. In the event that this firmware update fails, you will often see the message, “firmware corrupt”. This is a simple solution that is done easily by restarting the computer or printer.
Also Without requiring any hardware upgrades, a firmware update will provide your device with new, sophisticated working instructions.
By updating the firmware, you will have the opportunity to engage with the device more effectively and explore new features that have been included.
How long does a printer firmware update take?
Most printer firmware updates take anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes. The length of time that it takes all depends on the printer.
The time it takes to update the firmware also depends on the size of the firmware update file.
If the file is very large, it can take a while to download and this will, in turn, slow down the firmware update process.
This is only an estimation. You can also check the progress of the firmware update by looking at the printer’s display screen.
What happens if I don’t update my firmware?
Most of the software/device manufacturers strongly recommend you to update the existing version since the latest version is usually a bug-free version.
In case you don’t update to the latest version, there is a high chance that you might face software-related issues in the future.
It is not a bad idea to inform you what will happen if you don’t update your firmware. As soon as you see a message saying that your firmware is outdated, you will be prompted to update the firmware.
If you choose not to do so, then you may have to deal with the following issues: notification bugs, the fact that the phone will be more vulnerable to several attacks and bugs, and more.
Can you undo a firmware update?
Most gadgets periodically receive firmware upgrades, but you can’t just uninstall one if it causes problems.
For the ROM, PROM, and EPROM to work, firmware is required. You must install a newer version of firmware in its place rather than simply deleting the old one.
What happens if you delete firmware?
When you delete firmware, you delete the OS of the phone. In some cases, it can be restored with the help of a blank ROM.
But for some, it cannot be restored. Why? Because of the great security, you cannot use a different firmware.
If you delete the firmware, it will come back with the latest version which will not let you restore it again.
The printer is one of the most important devices in your home, so it’s important to take care of it.
After performing a printer firmware reset, disabling the automatic update feature, and turning the printer into the chipless mode, you are able to fix the Epson Firmware Update Problem.
I highly recommend taking care of your printer yourself, as it will save you time and money in the long run.
However, if you have any questions about how to set up or use the Epson printer cartridge reset process, we advise you to contact the professionals for professional advice by visiting the Epson Printer Support page.
Rhea James is a dedicated researcher. I’m fascinated by office items and enjoy learning more about them so that you can simplify your workday.
On this website, I share all of my personal experiences and ideas, as well as the best products, information, and shopping advice.
If you enjoy my product reviews and writing, please share them.
Keep Visiting, and keep Shining.